Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Tabletop App Paper prototyping

I tried something new with this prototype. Unlike my previous one, where I used a whole new screen for each menu, submenu, etc., I tried separating out the menus and just placing them over the background screen to simulate ho the app would actually work. Now, I did run into a few issues; about midway in I admit that I forgot to print a menu, and the "back" button from the Playtest screen is mysteriously missing. But, it did let me show off the "drag and drop" elements of the app in a paper prototype environment, which I'm kind of proud of. In my defense, I did try to keep the number of screens to a minimum so that I could just add menus on top, but clearly some of navigation fell by the wayside (or to the floor when I was trimming).

Next time I do this, I have to lay it all out and go through it a few times myself, that way I don't have any embarrassing little hitches in the layout. Also, using some basic color might help; just watching the video, I can see the whole thing is very gray (between the table and the paper prototypes).

Special thanks to Nick for being the user, Jason for filming, and Ninjamock for being a sick tool.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Tabletop Game Prototyping - UI Mockups

The project continues! These are mockups of what the User Interface for the Tabletop app will (might) look like. I tried to give it a look that wasn't specifically geared towards RPGs and Fantasy games, but definitively themed. I won't lie, I drew a lot of inspiration from Card Hunter's UI and the inner workings of Roll20, at least for an idea for styling.
You might notice a definitive lack of 3D in these comps. That doesn't mean that the app doesn't feature 3D, it just means that the comps are all of screens looking at the view top-down :P

Also, I have more developments (such as an elevator pitch and a marketing idea) on my concurrent blog, Little Game Tweaks.

Home Page
Open Project
Add Asset